Thursday, September 10, 2009

Getting Past my Marriage Prime

I may have mentioned the pattern that seems to have emerged in my home ward/stake, where the last several girls that have come to Utah for school have gotten engaged at 19 and married by 20 (well technically 2 1/2 months past 20 was the oldest). In like a week I will be the older than that and will be an old single maiden. Originally I didn't think that I should worry, but after reading this I'm beginning to panic.

For some reason I imagine this being sung as a country song by someone with a lisp...

I turned eighteen a long time ago.
I'm wonderin' why it's takin' so long
To find that man, the one from my dreams.
Gotta find him before I turn nineteen.

I'm nearly an old maid!
Need to say "I do" before it's too late.
Past my prime now!
Come on guys, can you help a girl out?

It's been a long grueling eighteen years
Tryin' to fight back all these lonely tears.
Got my GED; It's time to settle down.
Colors picked, even bought my wedding gown.

I'm nearly an old maid!
Need to say "I do" before it's too late.
Past my prime now!
It's about time I settled down!

They say I'm a menace to society.
Need a man cause I have no self-esteem.
Wanna get wed now so I'm goin' to BYU;
Statistically it'll take a week or two.

I'm ready to be your wife!
I wanna taste of married life!
We'll start a family right away
Before my fertile regions decay.

Been married six years,
Eight kids under age five.
Still don't know you real well
But at least I'm satisfied.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Yeah, if you don't have someone by 20, you might as well just give up because you've just wasted too many fertile years!

Have you seen Get Smart? "Dusty old uterus" hahaha.

Glen Brooksby said...

I was married at 24.8 years old. Michelle was 24.4 years old. I wouldn't change a thing.

Kim Reeves said...

You are crazy, Melissa Maughan! There is no need to rush into marriage...you have plenty of time. :)

Doug & Charisse said...

P.S. from your previous posts, it doesn't seem like you are too far away... ;)