Friday, April 9, 2010

Hermana Maughan!

How appropriate that this is my 100th post on my blog, since this is so significant....


I'm sure that by now either by Facebook, my family, my friends, or straight from me practically everyone has heard about my call, but just in case...I'm going to SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA, SPANISH SPEAKING!! Some of my mission I will also be serving at the Mormon Battalion Historic Site. Can I get a woot woot!? hehe. I report on July 7th, which happens to be my 21st birthday. So even though Facebook tells where I'm going, it's those elite people who read my blog that will know how I feel:

I have to admit I was very very surprised when I opened my call. It was nothing that I was expecting. Truly. Well, I guess that's only half true. I always thought that California is the place that I didn't belong, so half of me knew I would get called there. hehe. And yes, that is the truth ;) I didn't really know how to feel at first: Stateside? California? Spanish? Visiting Center?! All things that I had never seen when I pictured myself as a missionary, which I have since I was 6 years old. I guess I had always pictured myself in some far off foreign land learning some crazy psycho language, not know by a lot of people. I would have to say Spanish is DEFINITELY known by a lot of people haha. I even felt a bit guilty because of the way that I was feeling. I think all missionaries would like to say they didn't have any hopes of where they'd go, but I think deep down we all do. But I've always felt like missionaries end up getting called to the place that is perfect for them, but is the place they never expected. And surely that is the same for me.

The thing is, a month or two ago, I really felt strongly that things related to my mission were not going to work out the way that I was expecting. I had already seen that happen with my delay in putting the papers in and having to wait for my call longer than anticipated. And now the Lord does it again. I'm not doing what I'd thought I would be doing, but at the same time, I'm doing the EXACT same thing! I'm still preaching the gospel! I'm still sharing my testimony! I'm still serving the Lord! I'm even still learning a language! And on top of that, I'm even learning more about the history of the church then I might not have learned anywhere else. So really, what else matters?

I'm feeling a lot more confident about my place and time. It feels more and more right. I don't know why I've been called to San Diego, but I can probably guess some of the reasons. For instance, now I'll be able to speak Spanish fluently, a dream of mine, and a HUGE benefit for nursing. There's a good chance I'll end up being home for Christmas 2011. I'll be able to start school winter 2012, rather than wait until the next fall to continue studying nursing. I'll be stateside in case something does happen with my health (which, with my luck, is not that unbelievable). I get to find people when proselyting, and have people find me when at the visitor center. I get to force my tongue to finally learn to love spicy Hispanic food (that one may take awhile...). I'll be close to the GORGEOUS San Diego Temple (all my non member readers, click on the link! It's beautiful!). The weather in San Diego is perfect! I may not be able to swim in the ocean, but I will get to see the Pacific! I'll get to learn lots of church history about the Mormon Battalion! (PLEASE don't ask me right now though, I don't know even know what happened there! My mom (my seminary teacher) wasn't too thrilled with that haha).

I'm excited. It's been a long hard journey to get here. Emotionally, Physically, Mentally, and Spiritually. There have been broken hearts, broken necks, and broken friendships. There's been difficult struggles with myself, feelings of inadequacy, and doubts of the right thing to do. But now that's it here, it's right. It's been a long time coming. I know I have a long hard journey yet to come. I know that preparing to go will be a challenging time. I know that the mission will be hard and tiring and demoralizing from time to time. But I know that it's the right thing for me to do. I KNOW that the church is true, so why would I really have doubts if sharing my testimony for 18 straight months, every single day, is the right thing? I don't. The Lord is amazing. He loves me, and everyone, and I'm excited to play a part in bringing people to an understanding of what's true. I love my Savior. I know this is right. And I'm ready....


Learning that I leave on July 7th, my 21st birthday. The really funny thing about that day is of all the people involved in opening my call, July 7th is a significant day for 4 of them. For me, Sara, and Michelle Brooksby (in NY on skype with my family), it is our birthday, and for April McMurray, it is also the day that she enters the MTC to Madrid Spain. I'm so excited we'll get to go in together!

It was really sentimental to hug my brother. Hence the tears.

My best friend Sara got her mission call the same day too! Philippines Naga Mission. She leaves in August. It's fun though because we were born on the same day and got our calls the same day.

Click on this to see it bigger. Notice that I will have "special training in conducting tours". haha




3 comments:

Leash said...

okay dearest hermana maughan,
reading this entry made me just DIE inside a little thinking that i still have to wait THREE stinking weeks for my call to come! ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

i really am so happy for you though! :)

you will be a phenomenal missionary!

Cami! said...

I'm SO excited for you to go to the Mormon Battalion Visitor Center! Did you see the story on it between conferences? ALSO Nate's mission president, Pres. Timothy Evans is the president/director/something like that over the center so you'll get to work with him too! Nate says he a little scary at first to the elders, but really nice always to the sisters. ;-)

Congrats!

April said...

hermana maughan-a

ok, I finally have to come out to say that I blog-stalk you. Not a ton, but I figured this post was worth posting on, so now I have to admit the truth. :) But congratulations!!!!!!! You are going to be one rockin missionary.

PS. can we watch legacy sometime before you leave? Pleeeeaase?