Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hello from Africa!!

Greetings from Ghana!

First of all, I made it safely! We got in very early in the morning on Sunday and after a brief scare when everyone had their luggage for 15 minutes except for me (thankfully they had a second load of luggage to put on…scared me though!), we headed out into Accra! Accra was an
awesome city, but I am really glad that we are not staying there anymore. I don’t feel like I would have as much of the African experience as I am having here in Abomosu. And trust me, I am DEFINITELY having the African experience!

We are living in an ADORABLE house in this small village, down the street from both the elders, and an older missionary couple, the Terry’s. They have been life savers, they even took us down to the river this afternoon and in a canoe across to the gold mines. It was pretty fun. They’ve served a whole bunch of missions all over East and West Africa, but they have only been in Abomosu for 6 months. They love the place though, and we are definitely loving it too.

Jo Ann read us a quote this morning that says that you have to experience Africa in pieces, because it’s never fully together. I would have to say that is DEFINITELY true! We’ve decided that you can either have electricity, or water, but heaven forbid you get selfish and want BOTH! Haha. It’s rainy season here, so the first night that we were here, we experienced our first African thunderstorm, which was AMAZING. The sky was completely lit up pink and purple with the lightning. It was awesome. But apparently, the power company down here decides to turn off your power before a large storm to prevent damage later. Smart idea, but still annoying. So we had to spend our first night using flashlights trying to unpack and eat our meal in the dark…I felt like I was at girls camp. But it worked out okay, because we all were in bed at 7:30.

The sun is up from 6 to 6 during the entire year and we are so exhausted because of the heat and busyness that we are usually in bed early, but as I lay in bed Sunday night at 7:30, I had to laugh because I realized that my ward in Utah had only been in church for half an hour when I was already in bed! (There’s a 6 hour time change to UT, 4 to NY).

They turned the power back on the next morning, and it’s mostly been on since then, but they have turned the water off twice. And once, when I was in the shower, I looked down halfway through the shower and realized that the water was brown…yum!! Like I said, I’m definitely having the African Experience :) But have I mentioned that I am LOVING it?!

I’d have to say that my favorite thing is playing with the African children. I think that is everyone’s favorite part. Anytime we walk beyond our gate they are there waiting for us so that they can play with us and hold our hands and follow us wherever we go. Millie and I were discussing how we feel like celebrities because when we walk to the market everyone looks and waves and follows us and chants our names. Actually, they just chant “obrunee!” which means white person.

Haha. It’s pretty funny. We had a 2 ½ year old chant that as we walked by “oh-brew-knee. Oh-brew-knee”. She laughed hysterically when I said “Obibine!” which means black person :) props to David Byers for teaching me that one!

A few of us stayed in the village yesterday and played tag with the children. But what I mean when I say tag is that I chased the children around for 40 minutes (at noon I might add…hot!)
and the rest of the nursing girls stayed in the shade while the kids ran away from me. Haha. It was so fun, even though it practically killed me.

We started working in the clinics today. They are in DEFINITE need of help, but I have to admit, they do pretty well with the resources they have. Jo Ann said that we are going to be like a stone rolling down a mountain. We’re kind of off to a slow start, but hopefully once they
start to see what we can do and word spreads to the other villages, there will be a lot more that we can do and work will pick up.

Today I worked first with the midwife taking care of the five hundred thousand pregnant women in the village (maybe a slight exaggeration haha) but then went over and worked triage for most of the day. It was pretty interesting, but hopefully the work will pick up and we’ll find more to do. And I’m hoping that maybe someday I will get used to walking around in my scrub top, dark blue scrub pants, and socks and shoes. Ugh. I’m sweating just thinking about it. Orrrr maybe I’m just sweating because it’s still ridiculously hot and humid. Haha.

Well, it’s after 6, so almost bed time haha. We have two more days in the clinic here then I think we are going to Cape Coast this weekend. Should be fun! The internet here is pretty slow, so uploading anypictures is pretty much out of the question, but I can guarantee that
there will be PLENTLY to view when I get home :) hope all is well for everyone back home in the states! Love you all!

Mel

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Are you talking about Jo Ann Abegglan (sp?)? She was one of my nursing teachers and I'm guessing she's probably still there. The main thing I remember about her is that she said "to do that" a lot. Random, I know! Sounds like you are having a great experience!!!!