Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Buy away your problems.

I had a roommate. For privacy purposes, we'll call her Keightlyn. Keightlyn was a friend from freshman year who lived next door. a very lively person, very fun. We had our good times, but we also clashed heads from time to time. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like walking into our suite was like walking into a WWE match (although if it had been, I could have taken her in no time, because everyone knows who I am!! Melissa Maughan, WWE DIVA!). It was actually never like that. We just viewed things in different ways. Like spending money. Keightlyn had the opinion that if you even drove PAST the mall, you had to stop in and buy $150 butterfly earrings that are designer made! (yeah, true story. She tried to tell me they were worth the $150 because they were made by Burberry, and my response: "Is that a proper noun or a verb?") Keightlyn got basically anything she wanted from her parents, never wore the same outfit twice, and once went to Best Buy to fix her computer but came back with a $300 coat from Nordstroms ("It was on sale!"). Since I freaked when I spent $40 on a phone that has since been a reliable phone for almost 2 years, it goes without saying that Keightlyn and I had different opinions about this. Where she made any excuse to go shopping, I do everything in my power to avoid shopping.

That was yesterday, my friends. Today I am a whole new person. After having a TERRIBLE day, I decided I would relieve my stress by...gasp...going shopping! And even worse....CLOTHES SHOPPING!! It was always a form of torture. Or worse. I would have rather had 3 enemas, a catheter, and a ventral gluteal shot then go clothes shopping (sorry for the nursing analogies. It's pretty much the only thing I can relate to). But I went today, and OH the exhileration!!! I swear, when I pulled my face through the hole of the first shirt, I saw angels singing hallelujah from the clouds. and when I looked in the mirror deciding if I liked the way I looked it it, I saw Ashton Kutcher in the mirror telling me I looked like a babe. When I saw the price tag and saw it was on sale for $5.99 (SCOREEE) I'm pretty sure I lost 10 pounds instantly. Yes sir-ee! I walked out of that store with a grand total of $30 spent on 3 shirts and a very cute pair of sandals. I found a particularly attractive outfit that I would describe for you, but since I plan on wearing it 24-7 for the rest of my life, you'll all get to see it at some point.

Keightlyn, Although I spend like 1/1000000 of what you spend, I must thank you for being my inspiration for today's morale boosting shopping trip. I accomplished the unheard of today. And although I believe this was a one time thing, the frog is in the cool water ready for a sauna.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Here's a tip for getting virtually an entirely new wardrobe without any guilt! Get.pregnant.

Granted, you also have to gain a ton of weight and none of the clothes are necessarily to-die-for-cute, but it's all new and you HAVE to get it.

rachel b. said...

I had a roommate like that once and it drove me CRAZY. She was convinced that she needed the most expensive things because they were, quote, "the only things that fit me!" Really? What does everyone else who is your size do? Go around naked? Because somehow the rest of us are all getting by on our $7 on-sale-at-Target-because-we-can't-even-afford-full-price-Target clothes. Her parents bought everything for her, too. We went shopping together once, and then she never let me come again :-)

Becca Allred said...

I just found your blog, you are so cute! (yay fb stalking ;)) I used to be the girl who got only clothes for christmas because I refused to go shopping ever for them, sigh. But buying a cute pair shoes is so satisfying these days! I guess that's what college does to ya, eh?